Skip to main content

More thoughts on portfolio concentration

I had about 64 stocks in my portfolio on Oct. 1 2015. It is only about 12 months that I have learnt the lessons of value investing and my earlier teacher/guide (I realize now) wasn't really that well versed - so yes, she did a great job of introducing me to this world and since last 6-8 months I have had to build upon her introduction. So in the process of learning I ended up buying many good businesses. [The reason I say these are good businesses is that they were all selected based on fundamentals focusing on ROE/ROIC/Cash flow etc. after research often spread over several days/weeks. Of course, the depth of analysis has increased with time filling several pages of the 'Diary of a Dumb Investor'. However, I now realize that this learning curve landed me up at this juncture with large portfolio with many stocks where I had invested only 0.5% of my portfolio. My biggest gainer Britannia at 250% forms <2% of my portfolio.]

Until recently two pieces were missing in my arsenal:
a. Understanding of importance of Margin of Safety - it was a consequence of not knowing how to value businesses
b. Understanding the importance of portfolio concentration

To a large extent I must say (conscious of Authority bias), it was Porinju Veliyath's interviews where he placed repeated emphasis on Margin of Safety that got me thinking. Then the Safal Niveshak course material further emphasized it for me. The challenge still remains in terms of learning to value businesses and be confident that there is a 30-50% Margin of Safety.

I was reading Bruce Greenwald's Value Investing book yesterday and I made the following note regarding portfolio concentration. [Chapter 8 - Constructing the Portfolio]

"Risk Reduction in Value Investing comes from Margin of Safety and Portfolio Diversification. Margin of Safety provides a mechanism for risk reduction which is totally distinct from diversification" . (rephrased for brevity)

This is a great lesson on the interlinkage between 'Margin of Safety' and 'Portfolio Diversification'.
So to conclude, ICICI Direct's Portfolio X-Ray Report is proving to be a great tool to enable portfolio concentration - it is helping me see how scattered my investments are. It is now an uphill climb from here towards a concentrated portfolio. I am trying to do it gradually so as to not pay additional brokerages and short term capital gains if the wait is just for another few weeks to cross 1 year holding period. Expect to have a portfolio of 15-20 stocks by mid - 2016 to Jan 2017. Few Bets, Big Bets, Infrequent Bets - Dhandho !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concentrating my portfolio

It is nearly 3 years since I am actively investing in stocks and managing my portfolio. Recently, ICICI Direct launched several reporting tools which includes the Equity Portfolio Drilldown and the Portfolio X-Ray Report. I was observing a strange pattern in the data reported in the equity portfolio drilldown. See image below. Time and again, it appears that my tail portfolio where holdings are <2% are delivering excellent gains and the core portfolio, i.e., stocks with holding >2% are delivering poorly. It was evident from these reports that if I could eliminate the poor stocks from my portfolio and enhance my holding in the core stocks, my overall portfolio gains could be much better. This was an insight which was very useful in helping me change my strategy from having a highly diversified portfolio containing approximately 60 stocks down to a target of roughly 25-30 stocks. The initial trims have been easy. Some of these had been languishing and hogging a large portio...

Evolution of my stock picking approach

Why this article? In the random event that some youngster at the beginning of his/her career reads this, I want it to be of some use for him/her. Its also a personal reflection on how I have evolved in my approach to equities in the last one decade. It isn't meant to evaluate my performance or say that my approach is right. But rather to record how each person evolves a unique investing style over time. There are lot of nuances of stock picking - have tried to highlight the key changes in my approach rather than my entire approach. (I tried to jot that down here some months earlier - http://anandhariharan.blogspot.in/2017/10/my-stock-picking-method.html) In the beginning I started out as an equity investor after a casual hallway chat at EY in 2007 thereabouts with a fellow Senior Consultant who at that time used to work in financial services risk advisory. I knew nothing about finance those days though on paper I had a PGDM from what is ranked as one of India's top 10 b-s...

How to think about share buybacks

With the markets at new highs, among IPOs, there are also a handful of buybacks happening. Buybacks pose an interesting challenge for the intelligent investor.  At the basic level, it appears to be attractive for a long term investor. Lesser the number of shares, better the per share metrics should you hold on to them. But 2 interesting points one needs to ponder upon carefully: a. If the buyback price is greater than the 'intrinsic value', the management is committing the Holy Sin of Capital Management which is to buy high & sell low. So think twice when a great IT/FMCG major offers you a buyback at 20% more than current market price - is management paying a high price or a low price for the shares?  A smart management always buys back shares when its share price is languishing and they feel the tide is turning. A bad management buys back shares when its share prices are hitting 52-week highs and the biz environment is not likely to turn for the better.  b....